Mission and Core Values¶
Our mission is to support the resilience of societal units (from global to individual) to dynamic environmental risks by informing impact-management strategies. These strategies are understood in the broad sense, and can include mitigating new risks or adapting to existing or anticipated ones. Through mission-oriented basic research, we develop tools and methods to transparently and collaboratively inform decision-making to help improve equity and be responsive to diverse sets of stakeholder preferences and values.
Our research group adheres to several values which inform the procedures and expectations outlined in this manual.
- Excellence: We strive for excellence in all of our activities.
- Transparency: We do not hide our procedures or products. Our research is accessible to all levels of society. When we make mistakes, we recognize them and do our best to fix them.
- Diversity: We seek out members, collaborators, and community partners from diverse backgrounds and who represent diverse perspectives.
- Equity: We recognize the existence and impacts of systematic inequalities and work to promote fairness and justice. We strive to provide all of our members, collaborators, and partners with equitable platforms for engagement.
- Inclusivity: We view scientific research as collaborative, not competitive, and want our group members and collaborators to have agency over and ownership of their research. We want the right people doing the right work at the right time. We leverage our differences and diversity to improve our capacity to achieve breakthroughs.
- Health and Well-Being: We recognize the essential importance of taking care of one's physical, mental, and emotional well-being.